Northern Michigan is known for its wealth of outdoor fun and adventures. From fly fishing, canoeing or kayaking the cool streams, climbing the mighty sand dunes of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, to hiking the hundreds of trails winding throughout the beautiful woodlands, you are never at a loss for options when it comes to celebrating the bounty that Mother Nature has to offer. Here are selections of local activities for you and yours to get out there and explore!
- At Chimney Corners, pack a picnic lunch and hike up to “the view” of Lake Michigan through our acres of woods. Check out the Old Chestnut grove on your way.
- Rent a Stand Up Paddleboard from us and discover a new way to enjoy Crystal Lake.
- Bike, rollerblade or hike the beautiful Betsie Valley Trail which winds its way from Frankfort to Beulah through beautiful woodlands and over the Betsie River. Bike Rentals are available in Frankfort and Beulah.
- Canoe, kayak, tube or fish the local rivers, lakes and streams.
- Climb Sleeping Bear Dunes, and if you’re feeling truly adventurous hike all the way to Lake Michigan.
- Discover the hundreds of hiking trails in the area through state and national park lands.
- Charter a fishing boat out onto Lake Michigan.
- Go horseback riding.
- Search for Petoskey stones in the miles of Lake Michigan shoreline.
- Rent a powerboat or Pontoon Boat and spend a day tubing and waterskiing on Crystal Lake.
- Tour the Honor Fish Hatchery.
- Play a game of golf at the beautiful local courses.
- Enjoy a day frolicking in the waves of Lake Michigan. Try a fresh water surfing lesson. Make sure to wear a life jacket.
- In the spring, scavenge the forests for Morel Mushrooms and Leeks.
- In the fall, visit local apple orchards, pumpkin patches and harvest festivals.
- Visit our local farms and pick fresh fruits and berries to bring home for dinner.